Centennial Steinway?

Philip Jamison mortier@netreach.net
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:30:00 -0500

I recently acquired a mahogany Steinway Model S, the serial number of
which dates it to 1938. It has Empire-like styling with octagonal,
turned legs, a pedal lyre with a real "lyre" shape, and open desk, and
an ivory oval "Steinway & Sons" nameplate screwed to the fallboard. I
checked Radcliffe's "Steinway" book and was surprised to see "The
original Steinway fortepiano" from 1839 (pg. 171) had a very similar
case (save the inlay). This causes me to think Steinway made a
"Centennial"
model to commemorate the first Steinway grand. Am I correct? Thanks,

Philip Jamison Pianos
West Chester, PA