Rim Construction

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:36:40 -0500

>Ooops, I know I should NEVER say ALL. Many asian pianos use "select
>hardwood" (even if it is kinda soft). What else do they use? Are any
>Steinwayesque in their approach? Or are they "non-select hardwood"? ;-)

Rim construction does vary quite significantly. Some Yamaha's do use maple
in their rims.

Also, using the term "Asian" when applied to pianos to describe any piano
made in Korea, Indonesia or China is mis-leading. Most people would readily
agree that there is a significant difference between a Kia car made in
Korea and a Lexus or Acura made in Japan.

Besides, if hardwood rim construction were the only benchmark, Bosendorfer
would be fairly low on the list as they use spruce for rims. Of course
there are other considerations-ultimatley, what does it sound like and how
well does it hold up.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
http://www.dprint.com/grafton/
gleng@fast.net
800-272-5980

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.