Pianodisc vs QRS pianomation

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:23:19 -0700

Myself and Alan Meyer are both subcontractors for a major dealer and do a LOT
of installs, one a week typically.  I am familiar with both systems and I can
tell you that hands down the PianoDisc system is vastly superior to the QRS
system.  You don't need to do much more then glance at the circuit boards to
see the difference.  PianoDisc has put an enormous amount of time and money in
research and development into their product and continues to develop is as we
speak.  The PDS uses many customized components designed specifically for their
system and the expression is far better.  The newer systems are VERY reliable.
Don't confuse the newer systems with the older ones, there have been countless
improvements over the years.  The QRS system has seen few improvements.  Every
once in a while they introduce a new control box that adds a feature or two and
makes it look more fancy, but the actual guts of the system have seen little
change and are comparatively primitive.  The QRS circuit boards feature less
advanced over the counter chips, generic components, etc.  It works but the
expression is substantially inferior.  The PDS system is a little more
expensive but there is a valid reason for this.

Someone mentioned that the solenoids on the QRS system are easier to install.
Yes and no.  The mounting concept is somewhat easier in terms of assembly but
there is limited flexibility in regulating lost motion between the solenoid
tips and the bottom of the keys.  The PDS uses a very tiny light spring to
automatically take care of this with no noticable touchweight variance and
produces a lot less noise.  The actual time differences in installation is
insignificant, particularly when factoring the end results.  PDS solenoids
really are not that difficult to assemble and once they are done they are
done.  The PDS is more software friendly and the sound cards for the symphony
sound better, (uses the Alesis engine).  PDS offers all of the same features
that QRS does including the CD ROM option, live CD accompaniment features,
built in music library options, standard midi formats, etc.   Technical support
for PDS is fantastic if there are any problems.

With ANY system the end results are entirely dependent on the quality of the
installation.  I have seen many installations that are absolutely horrible.
Among these the installer cut the slot sloppy, didn't bother twisting and tying
up the wires neatly, didn't align the solenoids correctly with the keys, didn't
calibrate the system properly, didn't install the sustain lever properly, and
so on.  It is imperative that the installation be done neatly and properly by
an experienced and factory certified tech.  When it comes time to put the
system in insist on this.  If you have an interest in becoming a certified tech
the week long training seminar is free. Call Nina at MSR and they can put you
on the list.

I assure you that I speak from considerable experience and not personal bias.
I will not recommend the QRS system to my customers.  Also note that the
Baldwin Pianomation kit is actually a QRS kit with a different looking control
box.  If you buy one of these you are basically getting the same system.  I
should also mention that adjustments on the QRS system requires an expensive
external control box which the technician must purchase and carry around.  The
PDS has its own built in comprehensive set up/adjustment mode similar to the
Yamaha Disklavier system which makes things a whole lot easier and friendly.
Ultimately the PDS is much more tech friendly once properly installed.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV