Changing roller size.

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 11:19:17 -0400

At 09:45 AM 09/01/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 9/01/2000 9:23:33 AM, Jon wrote:
>
><<"Also a smaller knuckle would have the jack clearing it sooner due to its
>diminished radius.
>With this decreased connection period, will it affect the dynamic control?">>
>
>Jon;
>  Logical thought won't work here :-)
>The knuckle size will not affect the letoff point in any way. While your
>postualtion is correct if the let off is not adjusted to the smaller knuckle
>size, it would be incorrect if the let off point is adjusted to accommodate
>the smaller knuckle. The smaller knuckle would cause there to be more
>relative movement within the action/key parts and although such 'increased'
>relative movement would be very small it 'could' have substantial effects on
>the action/keybed.
>'Some' areas a smaller knuckle would affect are:
>Key dip, aftertouch, jack escapment, capstan height, backchecking and
>repetition speed. I am sure there are more but....................
>Just my thoughts.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Without a model to put to the test, I think a smaller knuckle might cause a
decrease in after touch (?)  Or would it be the same because the capstan
was raised.

But why would it increase repetition?  Because it would drive the repetition
lever less downwards at check-in?

%
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.