False Beats ??

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 18:38:49 +0200

Hi guys and gals....

Had an interesting experience today on a Petrof console. This this was
plagued with some really nasty false beats in the treble (actually all over
the place, but especially in the treble). By acident I noticed something
today I have never run into before.

Placing a straight slot screwdriver between two bridge pins, and wedging
one of them over so as to slightly increase the sideways pressure on the
string totally eliminated the false beats. I thought maybe this had
something to do with the screwdriver coming in contact with two bridge
pins, so I tried just pushing sideways a bit on one pin and the same thing.
Repeated this on about 15 strings with false beats and the same thing every
time. We are not talking just a reduction of the false beatings intensity..
It out and out disapeared. Course it comes back when you release the
pressure... but this got me scratching my head.

What is this all about ??... What does the type of material used in bridge
pins have to do with all of this, or for that matterer angle at which the
pin is inserted. Anybody run into this before, and if so what practical use
is it ??

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.