False Beats ??

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:14:18 -0400

Hi Richard,

This is interesting.  :-)

Was this false beat stuff mainly in the treble?

It would be interesting to try some CA or epoxy in a few bridge pin holes to
see if there is any effect.  If that cures it, you've found your culprit.
If not, I'm thinking Don R. might be onto something.

I have been told that a soundboard / bridge assembly of improper impedance
(whatever that might quantitatively be??) can give this type of effect.
Your screw driver might have in effect loaded the assembly in such a way as
to change it's characteristics in a positive way.

Another test of sorts you could try is fastening something of some mass to
the back (bottom?) of the soundboard near the bridge location, maybe several
places along the bridge location, and see if that has any effect as well.
If that would eliminate the false beats, adding mass might be a possible
answer.  I would imagine you could do it from behind (or is that
underneath?) with some brass weights screwed in strategically.  It could
also be weighted directly in the  top of the bridge by drilling and adding
keyweight leads, filling the holes flush and stringing back over top.
(There are ways...)

It's definitely fascinating.  Let us know if you do some more stuff to it.
:-)  I'll be interested!

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net