False Beats ??

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 00:41:32 +0200

Brian Trout wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> This is interesting.  :-)
>
> Was this false beat stuff mainly in the treble?

Actually.. no its just easier to get annoyed at it up there...

> It would be interesting to try some CA or epoxy in a few bridge pin holes to
> see if there is any effect.  If that cures it, you've found your culprit.
> If not, I'm thinking Don R. might be onto something.

Well, I will be checking this out a bit.

> I have been told that a soundboard / bridge assembly of improper impedance
> (whatever that might quantitatively be??) can give this type of effect.
> Your screw driver might have in effect loaded the assembly in such a way as
> to change it's characteristics in a positive way.

always a possibility

> Another test of sorts you could try is fastening something of some mass to
> the back (bottom?) of the soundboard near the bridge location, maybe several
> places along the bridge location, and see if that has any effect as well.
> If that would eliminate the false beats, adding mass might be a possible
> answer.  I would imagine you could do it from behind (or is that
> underneath?) with some brass weights screwed in strategically.  It could
> also be weighted directly in the  top of the bridge by drilling and adding
> keyweight leads, filling the holes flush and stringing back over top.
> (There are ways...)

My gut tells me this is not a mass thing...I dont know.. ... my knowledge on
this kind of thing is way to sketchy to be sure.. still I get the feeling it has
more to do with the bridge pin itself.. and how secure the string really is to
the bridge. I might be just going over old ground as Ron suggests.. but you know
me... always gotta try to reinvent the wheel.. grin..

> It's definitely fascinating.  Let us know if you do some more stuff to it.
> :-)  I'll be interested!

I might get the chance to fool around a bit tommorrow.. in anycase I will let
you know if anything comes up..... why do I have Wapin on my mind at the moment
??

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.