Offering Advice to Clients who want to "Upgrade" their piano

Eugenia Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:35:56 -0700

Nils,

Imho,

Axiom #1: A technician should never place him/herself in the position to
make the final decision for a client.
Axiom #2: A technician should, therefore, never place him/herself
responsible for a client's final decision.

You have done an admirable service for your client by providing her with
such extensive information. You might also tell her about Larry Fine's book.
Now it's her job to sort through, research, and select.

Some of the selection criteria I suggest to my clients include: budget,
size, sound/tone, touch, response.

I tell my clients they should first know their maximum budget allowance,
then _they_ should select the piano that speaks to them. Once they have made
the selection, then they should have a technician they trust examine the
piano before final purchase.

My 2 cents.

Gina