SV: Absolute pitch again.

Linda Stråhle linda.laserbeam@home.se
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 16:05:52 +0200

Andrew wrote,

Stan had it right.  There are many forms, levels, and qualities of pitch
memory.

Hej Richard!
I also agree with Stan. There are a lot of variety in absolut pitch.
But basically I think it has to do with our memory.

A person you know very well don't have to introduce himself over the phone
because you hear instantly who it is. For instance your wife, or your children or your best friend.

It is the same with notes and chords for me. I just recognize them without really thinking about it.
Sometimes when I listen to music in historic pitch I get confused because my twelv friends are out sailing. But after a while I normally get used to it and can identify the notes and cords. Of course with a little difference in colour.
I became a pianotuner because I wanted to find out all this about notes.
But so far I have no good answer why some notes or cords or combinations have certain colours or carecters. If you change pitch or temperament or instrument a pice of music is played on ,the"colour" change, but loses not it´s identity.    ( of course if it is really "out" music)

Like when a person change hair and buy clothes in a differnt style,
but you can still recognize who it is.

This maybee turned out to be a little confusing writing here but perhaps you get something out of it.

See you at Skallerup soon

Linda Stråhle
SPTF
SWEDEN