Next size larger bridge pins

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 4 Sep 00 19:05:06 +1000

Terry Farrell wrote;

>. . . .  what is a 0.1mm
>step drill set? Is this simply drill sizes that progress from bit to bit in
>0.1mm increments?

Yes

>And what guidelines do you use in selecting a drill bit
>diameter for a given pin diameter (I presume the drill bit selected would be
>some measure smaller than the bridge pin). Thanks!

Generally around 92 - 94 % of the new bridge pin diameter. So if we were
to use a 2.5mm oversize pin to replace a 2.2 mm pin, we would probably
use a 2.3 mm drill.

2.5 mm diameter = 0.0984"

2.5 X 92% = 2.3 mm

When redrilling the bridge pin holes, it is difficult to ensure that the
axis of the drill is in line with the original hole. As an alignment
guide, we might insert a 2.2 or 2.1 mm drill (whichever one fits
comfortably in the original holes) in a nearby hole to the one we are
drilling. This would allow us to hold the drill at the original bridge
pin angle as we drill out each hole. People who lack experience doing
this have been known to break off the odd drill bit in the bridge. It
really makes your day if you're so lucky.

Don't forget to make up a depth stop for the drill (ours is turned out of
brass, with a chamfer which matches the 20 degree angle of the bridge pin
inclination - a small set screw locates it at the correct position on the
drill). It is very important that the bridge pin holes are drilled to the
correct depth. For those of you who are interested in bridge cap
replacement, there is a link to a series of six detailed images showing
the replacement of a bridge cap on a model D Steinway. The link can be
found at the end section of the article "Bridge cap wood selection and
conversion - for piano technicians" on our website.

After redrilling the holes when overhauling an instrument, it finishes a
job nicely if the bridge top is cut clean with a flat block, and the
notching recut prior to applying the new slip coating (which, we hope, is
confined to the horizontal surface of the bridge only). The bridge
notches should start just behind the centre line through the bridge pin
group. When pianos are destrung, it is not uncommon to witness the
strings contacting the bridge wood well into the speaking length, since
the side draft - bridge pin angle combination tends to pull to strings
down hard onto the bridge wood (this will be especially so if some
over-enthusiastic technician has belted the strings into the bridge in an
effort to eliminate falseness - which may even be due to some other
cause). The bridge pin should act as the termination point, since the
high hysteresis loss of wood makes it a highly unsatisfactory termination
material.

Ron Overs

Overs Pianos, Sydney Australia
Email:   sec@overspianos.com.au