False Beats

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:59:22 -0700

Jim,

That experiment might tell us something, but would leave a lot of questions
unanswered.  One is the absorbtion/expansion properties of different types of
woods, laminates vs. solids, under tension or not, and the extent to which all of
this is grain related.  Furthermore, the pattern of holes might make a difference
- i.e. how far the wood extends beyond one hole before encountering another hole
or the edge of the object, as in a pin block.  I think that may be what's
happening with action centers - i.e. that the surrounding wood may be freer to
expand than in a pin block or bridge.

In the case of the bushing cloth, the issue is not so much how it reacts to
humidity in isolation but rather in its functional setting - i.e. in a specific
type of enclosed space.  And finally, it is not the amount of expansion per se,
but the amount of force caused by the expansion on the center pin.  I can think
of ways to do all the necessary experiments, but I'd have to put in for a grant.
In the meantime, I'd be interested in the thoughts of anyone who would like to
speculate, or who might know of any work that has actually been done.

Paul