Tone Deaf

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:05:21 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/00 10:28:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
tuner@mediaone.net writes:

<< Just a slight detour off the perfect pitch thread.
 I don't have perfect pitch and have no concept of how it's achieved.
 But what's even more inconceivable to me is being  tone-deaf.
 How is this possible?

 Thoughts?

 Martin Dubow

Just as perfect pitch is a learned aspect, (at least that is my view. I
haven't been following this thread this time, but we've talked about it
before), I think being tone deaf is the opposite. The lack of learning
anything about music. I have heard a few people try to sing, with absolutely
no concept of what the tune is supposed to be, and I would venture to guess
that it is a lack of ear training in the formative years. I think people that
are tone deaf never listened to the radio, or records, and probably got their
education in a school without a music program.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Willem