Tone Deaf

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:38:09 -0700

I have taught small children music (Orff Approach) and found that most
children can sing a little bit.  Some can carry a tune perfectly, some less
so but with some one on one pitch matching games and just plain singing,
most can be musical.  This goes for co-ordination also and keeping a steady
beat.  It takes musical experience all through childhood and unfortunately
many school districts have eliminated this frill to balance the budget.  In
the old days a kindergarten teacher had to know a 100 songs and used music
to help re-inforce what was taught.  Now-a-days elementary teachers will
often pass on the music aspect of training to get more computer work.  And
we wonder why our country is falling behind the rest of the world in
learning.

David I.

Just as perfect pitch is a learned aspect, (at least that is my view. I
haven't been following this thread this time, but we've talked about it
before), I think being tone deaf is the opposite. The lack of learning
anything about music. I have heard a few people try to sing, with absolutely
no concept of what the tune is supposed to be, and I would venture to guess
that it is a lack of ear training in the formative years. I think people
that
are tone deaf never listened to the radio, or records, and probably got
their
education in a school without a music program.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Willem