Roller Size, again, correction

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:00:20 -0400

>At 08:21 AM 09/06/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>As promised, I tested two different knuckle heights from the same set
>>measuring .662 and .628.
>>
>>                 .628            .662
>>UW              17              17
>>DW              43              41
>>F               13              12
>>BW              30              29
>>SWR           6.5           6.4
>>Diam.           .277            .289
>>
>>Center pin friction was nearly the same with the smaller knuckled shank
>>having two more short swings.
>>
>>Interesting findings, I'll have to ponder them as I start tuning for the
>>new semester starting in a few weeks.

You have to do something while tuning so I mulled these figure over. . .

The figures are not so different as to warrant purchasing several sets in
hopes of picking through
to obtain uniform knuckle height but it did demonstrate a need to
scrutinize the shanks beyond SW.
It seems to me that this should be performed on the manufacturing level to
present a set within
a .010" window, instead of the .030 window which is present on the two sets
I measured.

The larger knuckle had the shank a 'shank's width' off the rest felt, the
smaller knuckle had the
shank just above the rest felt. So the difference produced between the two
were the thickness
of a shank. This will have the wippens at slightly different heights for
equal hammer blows and
in the spirit of unifority, consistency is the key. So there might be an
advantage to grouping similar
heights in a piano requiring hair splitting to this degree.

The more you dig, the deeper you get; what have I gotten myself into . . .
anything to delay, draw-out or extend an otherwise routine shank installation.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net