Old Steinway wippens

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:55:47 EDT

<<  The problem  is the lack of jack adjustment.  only a piece
of felt  ,  no screw to adjust the fore and aft position.  Does anyone have a
suggestion for rebuilding these wippens?
Right now, he sees his options as 1) total replacement, or 2)
painstakingly trimming new felt to position the jack in the correct
position. >>

Greetings,
   There are other alternatives.  One is to shim the old felt.  I  use a
chisel of the appropriate width to break the glue joint holding the felt ,
and then place a shim of veneer with glue, fore and aft.  behind the felt.
This will usually place the jack perfectly or slightly too far, which can
easily be remedied by pulling a little felt off the pad.
   Another approach is to drill the jacks for a screw,  the support for a
spoon, and spend a bunch of time retro fitting the adjustment.
  New parts are now available that have changed the entire economic balance
of doing this job.   I have had success with both, but the second way takes
about six times  longer.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT