Tuning business for sale.

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 20:21:39 -0700

Most of the old time tuners in my area just retired or referred their
customers to someone they knew.  It would be nice to know my business was
worth something when I  call it quits...which means I only tune 4 pianos a
week.

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Jon Page
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 4:32 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Tuning business for sale.

At 12:03 AM 09/07/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I am relocating and looking for a technician to care for my clients.
>The business is located 60 miles southwest of Pittsburgh, Pa. in
>Wheeling WV. I have operated this business for 21 years and
>currently have about 750 customers.  The client list is a fully
>maintained repeat customer database on Symantec Act 3.07  Many
>customer tunings are on 6 month or 1 year intervals. Others are will
>call customers.  There is potential for further growth.  Just make the
>  phone calls and reap the results.  Price: $16,000.00.  Alternative
>methods
>of sale will be entertained.  Financing is possible. Target date is
>October 1, 2000.
>  Inquire at JPhillip7@juno.com or call 304-547-0717
>
>-James P. Duggan  RPT

That's $21.33 per each prospective customer (in advance) with no
guarantee of income. Moving and setup costs are enough of a burden
without this steep debt.

Perhaps a more attractive offer would be a commission basis where
each referred customer returns a fee to you. This would save some
advertising costs for a new tuner and is a quick start for their business.
Depending on the going rate in your area, $21. may be a large percentage
for a starting tech. Taxes take enough of a gouge without someone else in
your pocket. If no one takes your offer and moves into the area, your
customers
may find them anyway; if would cost them less than $16K to become
established.

Personally I would happily supply my list of customers to another tuner
as a customer service.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.