Plate Bushings

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:32:58 -0600

Newton:  Due to the fact that I am a little tired currently I will
*attempt* a verbal description of how I drill holes down the center of
dowels:
Take a piece of scrap wood ( 2-2 1/2 inches thick and about 4 inches wide
and rip that wood into two pieces.  Make sure you mark across the rip
line so you can put the wood back together the same way it was ripped
apart.
Clamp the ripped wood to a piece of scrap that will be below the ripped
wood - hereafter referred to as the clamp wood.  That scrap can be a
piece of anything you can afford to chew holes in.
Equip your drill press with a bradpoint bit of whatever diameter the OD
of the bushings has to be.
Clamp the scrap wood with the "clamp wood" attached to the drill press
table.
Align the tip of the bradpoint with the rip line on the clamp wood that
you ripped earlier.
Drill a hole through the clamp wood along the rip line.  ( That hole will
be only a half circle on each piece.
DON'T MOVE THE REARWARD PIECE OF CLAMPWOOD!!
At this point you can cut a short piece of the required dowel stock to a
length that will fit in the hole you have just drilled and clamp it in
place with the second piece of clamp wood.
Choose the diameter bit that you wish to use to bore the center hole with
- chuck it up  and drill away.
TIP ( No extra charge for this one ).  Sometimes, for reasons of runout
or whatever, that dowel will be a little loose in the hole drilled in the
clampwood.  A piece of sandpaper placed in one or the other half of that
hole will normally tighten things up.  HIGH QUALITY brad points really
help with this job.  Those cheapies aren't going to drill the endgrain
very well.

If my *verbalizing* of this has been insufficient - let me know and I'll
draw a sketch or is that sketch a drawing and send it to you as an
attachment.

Hopefully Helpful,
John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:19:39 -0400 nhunt@jagat.com (Newton Hunt) writes:

> > I could even send a drawing of the jig that I use on my drill
> press and
> > on the bandsaw and would be glad to do so if that is what you
> want.
> >
> Thank you John I would love to see the basic idea.  I do
> have a bandsaw and a drill press.  The drill press was the
> first power tool I bought.  It is a Sears Crapsman and I
> have lived to long regret that purchase but over the years I
> have got it to do what I need to do.  The basic problem is
> runout but I have solved that by keeping the quill lock snug
> and the quill well lubricated.
>
> I am rarely successful in drilling a hole consistently in
> the center of a dowel so I would love to see you jig for
> doing so.
>
> Oh, by the way, I do know everything, but it keeps falling
> out of my basket and gets lost.
>
> 		Newton

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.