A 440

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:58:19 -0400

Pat,

I like to have the pianos at A-440, but I'm sure others on this list regard it
as more important than I do.  To determine at which pitch I tune:

I recommend the piano be pitchraised and tuned if it is newer or middle-aged,
and if it doesn't have the strings overlapping the coils in the upper bass; or
if it is going to be used with pre-recorded cassettes or to play with or tune
other instruments.

If the piano looks very "if-fy" I might suggest tuning it at its current
average pitch this time to see what happens, then do a pitchraise next time if
I don't run into difficulties.

If the piano is just a little bit flat but too much to do an "on-pitch" tuning,
I ask if they are intending to begin regular service.  If they are, I can bring
it to pitch over the next several visits and save them a few bucks.  I remember
these are often growing families with limited resources.  We were there once
ourselves.

I *always* inform the piano of the possibility of breaking strings.  I also
have an article on this subject in my latest newsletter.

Now I know I might get flamed for this one, but my hunch is that most
technicians on this list could not tell without an outside reference if a piano
is 15 cents flat, if it is well in tune with itself.  It might also help to
understand that I "float the pitch."  Comments?

Regards,
Clyde