Selling the business

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Sat, 09 Sep 2000 07:45:20 EDT

Don wrote,
>Hi Larry,
>
>I would not for I am NOT a salesman.

If you are not a salesman...how did you convince anybody to let you tune
their piano?  If you do any kind of buisness, you simply must do some
selling.  You have a product (your abilities, skills, and reputation) but
they will do you little good if you don't convince someone of the fact that
you are the best person to do the job. (That friends,is selling.) Granted,
the selling for a lot of us is easy because we might be the only person able
to do the job,  but the fact is that no one would ask you to work on their
instrument if you didn't in someway say, "Will tune pianos for money."  I
don't imply that we put on the sports coats, checked pants, and white shoes
while becoming that stereotype sales guy, but we all sell.

>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

Nice sales technique...gives your customer confidence in your abilities.

>Tuner for the Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts

See, it works!

The gentleman in Wheeling has something he thinks is valuable, he is quite
naturally offering it in exchange for money.  You may not think it is that
valuable.  Then you should negotiate a better price or just don't buy it.
But it is his right to offer.  There have been many good points about
whether he should just give the list to someone qualified to service his
clients' (customers') pianos.  I probably would just refer my clients to
someone else as a last service, but I cannot say that I would not sell my
customer list to another technician.

Mitch Ruth
DeMossville, KY