Pitch Raise Sequence

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 08:56:42 -0400

I have wondered repeatedly why I don't start a pitch raise at C88 rather
than A0 (everytime I answer "great idea, try it next time - I never have). I
use a SAT III and rubber/felt mutes for pitch raises. Most pianos that need
a pitch raise are flattest in the top couple octaves. The top couple octaves
is where the risk of string breakage is greatest. Also, when one is raising
pitch, the tension of the remaining strings drop an additional amount before
you even get to them (my experience is that if the hi treble is 50 cents
flat before starting a pitch raise, by the time you get to it after raising
the bass and tenor, the hi treble will be perhaps 80 cents flat) thereby
increasing the risk of string breakage.

Take the common situation where the bass is say 20 cents flat, tenor 30
cents flat, treble 40 cents flat, and hi-treble 50 cents flat. Start raising
pitch in the hi-treble and progress toward the bass. Would I not find
advantage in giving the piano a more even pitch raise (rather than raising
pitch 20 to 80 cents (bass to treble), I would be raising pitch perhaps 50
to 30 cents (treble to bass). Just plain old happier for the piano overall,
and much less chance of strings breaking.

One of the advantages this may offer is when pitch raising on an old risky
piano. I hate the thought of raising pitch on bass and tenor, just to get to
the treble and find that strings are breaking right and left. If strings are
going to not be able to take A440, you will find out right away if you start
at C88 (of course then you are faced with the occassional problem of tener
bass strings! - although in my experience that is less common).

So now you ask why do I not try it and report back. I will. But before I do,
does anyone think this idea has any merit? Has anyone else tried it or do
this regularly?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida