No Subject

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:30:09 -0700

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM wrote:

> My policy is to never sell parts to non technicians in order for them to work
> on their own piano. Why? I am in business to make money, and this takes money
> away from me. Think about this way: Some calls you, a technician, to buy
> parts from you to do his or her own work which you are quite capable of doing
> and earn your living this way. That does not sit well with me.

Dave,

To give you another view, this piano owner wants to improve the quality
of her instrument and also wants the experience and pride that will come
of doing the work herself. I don't see how that takes anything away from
you. You can choose to sell her the parts or not, that's your business.
But it's her piano and she has the right to rebuild it, tune it or
launch it into a lake with a trebuchet. Why begrudge her the courage to
tackle a new challenge?

I sell parts to owners occasionally and gladly offer advice on how to
achieve a successful repair, pitfalls to avoid, etc. Sometimes they'll
call me back for work that requires expertise beyond their capability.
Sometimes not. But I feel better for having been of service. I'm not
just in the business to make money but to provide a service. Giving away
a few freebies now and then is part of the cost of doing business. It
develops good will and attracts future business.

What got me barking is your second paragraph:

> I had a piano owner cuss me out for not selling the parts and he even said he
> would bad mouth me to other piano owners. That was years ago and I am still
> alive and well in this business.

I'm sure you are doing very well professionally but I don't see how
being cussed out by a piano owner can sit well with you (I notice you
still remember it after some years). You can't please everyone, that's
true, but by not accommodating this man, you lost his business and any
referrals he might have made and that takes money away from you.

So, the logic of your policy escapes me.

Sorry for the rant. Time to head for the old doghouse.

Tom Cole