Broadwood Dating

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 17:42:12 +0100

In article <000901c01ac5$e6e01ae0$73165c18@tampabay.rr.com>, Farrell
<mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> writes
>Thanks Barrie. Yes it does help. The "Partent metallic screw tuning pin form
>1862 to about 1897". Do you mean "Patent"?

Yes, :-)

>The word "PATENT" was
>cast/stamped into the forward edge of the steel/iron piece that covered the
>tuning pin area. I would suppose this is the feature that had the tuning
>pins actually threaded through the metal plate.

Yes, and a pain they are even when working correct.

> Do you agree that thi piano is most likely from the 1870s? And like no way
>from the 1820s?

Well it depends on the patent that is on the frame, if it was for the
tuning pins or if it has the pins then yes, however, it could have been
for the frame itself.  One day I will sit down and date the  patent
numbers with the  patent.  Back to your date, since your piano has Semi
on it, you only have 3 semi grands in the Broadwood cat your s/number
will put your piano in the Semi upgrade from  the Royal.   9318 falls
between  1875 1880

Other things to look for when dating a Broadwoods

Name on Failboard:

1782 John Broadwood
1794 John Broadwood & Son
1808 John Broadwood & Sons
1901 John Broadwood & Sons Ltd

 From 1830 the Failboard was spilt into two section which folded back,
before1830 the Failboard had a small lip on it a bit like the models of
to day. Up to 1895 they were still using wooden pedals on some grands,

F.G.I.

  All the Broadwood papers are being put on  computer it will take 7
years providing the money is still put aside for this work,[1] they
started middle of last year.  They are looking at £35.00 per search  on
the data base.  That  is for the great unwashed, we _should_ get a
discount if we are doing research, on a piano we are restoring only time
will tell.

[1] at the moment there are talks afoot for a merger of 2 manufacturing
bases in the UK,  this _could_ stop the work :-(

Take care

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton               Ý The U.K. Piano Page ©
http://www.a440.co.uk       Ý http://www.uk-piano.org/