Roller Size, again

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:37:45 -0400

Not to belabor all this roller stuff, but........are you measuring the =
knuckle height while it is mounted in the shank? If so, I wonder if some =
of your variation is coming from the depth of the slot in the shank that =
the knuckle core mounts in. OR, I may simply not have a clue as to =
what/how you are measuring and you should just ignore this note.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 5:31 PM
  Subject: Re: Roller Size, again

  At 09:53 PM 09/10/2000 +1000, you wrote:
  Ron,
  Thanks for reiterating on the lower friction effect from a smaller =
knuckle.
  I should have gone into greater detail in my response but was pressed =
for time
  and figured your statement would be remembered and just left it at =
'lower friction'.

  I still have the shanks separated in regards to roller height and will =
get someone on it tomorrow.
  I would imagine there is a tolerance granted for sanity purposes. As =
this is my first encounter
  with close examination of this height.  I will maintain a 0.010 window =
(+/- .005 from average height,
  this set's average is .645; so .640 to .650, it might get tighter as =
the work progresses). I included
  the thickness of the shank assuming that the shanks are uniform =
because I only have a thickness
  gauge and not a height gauge. I'll check the shanks' thicknesses =
tomorrow.
  Tolerance suggestions welcome.

  It's always something . . .=20

  Regards,