$50 tuning - a story

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:29:47 -0400

Hi Wally,

To me, it's not necessarily the $50 tuning that bothers me.  I can think of
scenarios where a $50 tuning could be considered a "welcome to my group of
preferred customers", or a "thank you for calling me for the first time"
discount.

If he's doing this all to avoid taxes, it may very well catch up to him and
bite him in ways I wouldn't really want to see.  Legitimate mistakes or
oversights are one thing.  Tax evasion is quite another matter in the eyes
of the IRS.  At times, state departments of revenue can be even worse.  I've
been on the wrong side of the 'collecting state sales tax' issue before, and
I will not go that direction again, even when being paid in cash.

The 20 minute tuning brings up another issue yet.  I've been a pretty good
boy so far.  But there are times when I really have to bite my tongue.  I've
listened to some of the work done by other tuners.  Some of it is good.
Some of it is fair.  Some of it is atrocious.  I'm finding out that not all
tuners (or tunings) are created equal.  So far, I've never bad mouthed
another tuners work to a customer.  But I gotta tell ya, sometimes it's
pretty hard to be silent.  (And the type of guy you mention upsets me a
little sometimes.  Some of them aren't doing $50 tunings either.  Some of
them are $70 or $80 tunings with the same sloppy and careless work.)

My plan to date is provide the best tuning I can for the customer.  I
believe there are a large percentage who are appreciating the effort, and
more than you might suspect have made comments of appreciation for a job
they could actually tell was well done.  Some even go so far as to comment
that the last (unnamed) person didn't spend the time and effort to really
tune all of those strings so well.  Some people really can tell a good
tuning from a rush job.

Just my $0.02

Have a good day.

Brian Trout