price raising

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:48:56 -0500

>I know you have a good point. I do not do this all the time. It gets so
>yucky sometimes with these old uprights. I know many techs will not even
>service them (ethics?).

What IS this thing with ethics the last few days? If a tech has enough work
already to not have to go out and fight losing battles trying to do
impossible field repairs on "previous life" ex pianos, why would it be an
ethical crime to pass on the job? I don't even begin to understand this.
Aren't there already enough swords available to throw oneself on without
looking for more excuses, especially the lowest common denominator? A tech
declining the job surly costs the non customer a lot less money than if he
did go out and waste $400 or their money trying to patch it up, only to not
return the customer's repeated calls when the piano still doesn't work to
their satisfaction (as determined by the opinion of their teacher,
neighbor, uncle, sister, etc). I've seen that happen WAY too many times
around here, and gently decline to give it a try myself when the
"previously helped" owner calls around for someone else to "finish it up".
Life is too short, and folks are too heavily armed. If you or anyone else
does chose to service old uprights, by all means, fight the good fight, and
stand behind your work no matter how relentlessly they fail to realize they
have a partially reanimated dead piano (regardless of how many times, or
how carefully you explained the situation) - bless you, and go in as much
peace as can be mustered under the circumstances. You've got a heck of a
lot better shot at Sainthood than I. Just try to keep the ethical
judgements in check regarding those who chose not to participate.

That's not really a rant, just a puff of smoke in the forecast wind.

Ron N