pianos in freezing temps.

Patrick C. Poulson ppoulson@jps.net
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:49:46 -0700

Hello! I was called out once to evaluate a grand that hand been brought out
here from back East, and was told that the piano had spent a winter in an
unheated building.  The wood in the action all had an ugly gray surface, and
was in need of action rebuilding.  But the worst was yet to come.  The main
beams when viewed from the bottom had major splits running from one end to
the other.  I had called out another tuner to help me evaluate the
instrument, and he said he had seen this before.  What apparently happens is
that the moisture in the wood freezes in extreme cold, expands in the wood,
and splits the beam as if you had driven a splitting wedge in it.  The piano
was a total write-off.   Pretty sad but graphic demonstration of what an
extreme climate can do to a piano.
Patrick Poulson, RPT