Erard value

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:11:57 +0100

In article <00b201c01cba$ff886ec0$73165c18@tampabay.rr.com>, Farrell
<mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> writes
>Re-check Pierce. Erard is French. The serial number/date you identified in
>your post is for a Paris-made Erard. Apparently there were a few Erards made
>in London by brother Sebastian Erard.

:-) they made a lot more than a few pianos in England, most of his work
was done in England, at one point they were the main rival  to Broadwood
in piano production.

  Sebastian was not the brother he was the man, Jean-Baptiste was the
brother and Pierre was the nephew The bulk of his patens where done in
London.    Pierre's name was on most of Sebastian  patens.  Sebastian
did most of his work on the Harp in England.

Surprisingly as late as  1904  In France, they were still using
underdamper actions on grands and which were overstrung.  I had one in
my workshop last month.

Regards

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton               Ý The U.K. Piano Page ©
http://www.a440.co.uk       Ý http://www.uk-piano.org/