..can you make it lighter?

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:49:02 -0400

Frequently insufficient aftertouch results in the
"Mack truck" feel you describe.

The 15 min version for many pianos for instant "lighter" touch.

On a grand, just raise the hammer line a little bit,
more aftertouch, less blow distance.... lighter feel.

On an upright shim up the hammer rail a little bit.
I like a few little strips of key bushing cloth(won't change).
A pass to eliminate loss motion. and the same effect.
Less blow distance, more aftertouch, lighter feel.

This assumes the piano is not so out of line, other
things are not crying out to be done first. If the bedding
is terrible, the flanges are wobbling, or green, the rest of
the regulation is terrible, I feel obliged to make it an all or
nothing call since my name will be associated with the
"regulated" product. But often a playable instrument can
be tweaked, and "improved" to a customers preferences
with spot regulation/voicing.

                                       Dave Renaud
                                       RPT
                                       Canada