"Hacked-up" trap-work

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:59:22 -0500

> I think some of the squeaking is coming from
>the leather-lined dowel guide hole, so I would like to try the upgrade
>described in the Journal, but I don't know how to secure the top of the
>dowel to the metal damper lift rail if I drill out the guide hole.
>Any ideas?  I can file the top end of the dowel so that it cradles the
>damper lift rail, and that will keep the dowel from falling front to
>back, but it can still fall side to side.

Hi Robert, how about if you epoxy or solder a 1/2" copper pipe cap to the
bottom of the bar, open end down?

>Another problem with this damper pedal arrangement is that there is no

>-Robert Scott

A nice wide chunk of hammer felt scrap trimmed to thickness will take more
abuse, making less noise, than anything else you could use. It's not as
easily adjustable as a capstan or carriage bolt, but it won't wear at the
same rate either, given the big contact area and density. If worse comes to
worse, you can always crawl back under there in ten years and add a shim.

Ron N