"Hacked-up" trap-work

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:26:30 -0400

Hi Robert,

One possibility might be doing something like Baldwin might use... a dowel
up through the keybed that has a pin (something like a balance rail pin) in
the end which has a corresponding felt / leather / rubber bushing in the
metal damper tray.  No need for anything fancy.  If the holes are all the
right size, and the pin sticks out of the dowel far enough, it won't come
apart.  Perhaps a larger hole with more bushing material?

To limit damper pedal travel, it would certainly be possible to add a
mechanical stop somewhere in the trapwork which would physically stop the
pedal from pushing that tray any farther.  I don't think I'd get so fancy as
a capstan, but rather just a plain old screw.  Perhaps an old pinblock screw
with a piece of heavy felt or leather on the corresponding wooden contact
part.  To deal with the lack of a damper upstop rail, I can't think of any
other option than just making one and sticking it in.  Nobody says it can't
be in more than two pieces either.  You can probably get one in for the
bass, and maybe two or three for the tenor and low treble without having to
take out the dampers.  It certainly needn't be elaborate.  A couple of
sticks or wood, and a piece of felt.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck,

Brian Trout