reflections

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:50:15 -0400

The recent discussion of the 'strobo conn' lead me to think about other
things, more or not piano related, that today's piano tuners might not
remember.  Sort of like today's children find it difficult to tell time on a
clock face with hands versus a digital display; and that they don't know
what they are looking at when they see a 45 rpm or 33 rpm record (for
Heaven's sake!).

My paternal grandmother was born in 1900 and died 4 years ago.  She always
thought a proper home had a piano.  When grandma was growing up, one third
of all American households owned a piano.  At that time, most households had
no electricity, indoor plumbing,  or refrigeration.  One of her first
purchases as a young mother was an old, used baby grand piano for her
children to learn to play.  While my uncle dutifully studied the classics,
my father rebelled and concentrated on "boogie-woogie".

My grandmother decided that my father, who by the age of 26 had three
children and a house of his own, should have a piano.  She came to town with
an armload of brochures (in 1956) and told my Dad that she would purchase a
new piano of his choosing if he promised that his children would receive
piano lessons.  He chose a shining black Story & Clark console with a
mahagony (plywood) soundboard because he loved the tone!  He played that
piano every night after dinner all the years I was growing up.  No one had
air conditioning in those days, and everyone in the neighborhood sat on
their front porches in the evenings listening to my Dad playing his piano.
The neighbors would purchase sheet music of the songs they wanted to hear,
and gave it to my father to learn.  All winter long, while the windows were
closed, he would practice these "requests" so he would be "ready" during the
summer when everyone could hear him practice.

I remember the evening  some years later, the family across the street
bought a new high fidelity set.  The whole neighborhood crowded into their
living room to listen to South Pacific, the only record they owned!  Our
neighborhood now had a piano, a newfangled FM radio and Hi-Fi!  We were
swingin'!  The gifts of sheet music eventually stopped, as now the neighbors
could buy records.

When grandma moved into smaller quarters in a retirement community, she
purchased her first brand new piano.  It was a walnut stencil spinet that
she had the dealer refinish in black!  A hymn book always sat on the music
desk, and her all newspaper clippings filled the bench!  I was the only
person to tune this instrument, and that was at least 25 years after its
purchase!  When grandma  was moved into the nursing facility 6years ago, the
piano was sent to me.

Only once, briefly, have I ever owned my own piano.  It was an old wreck of
an upright that I repaired and sold to start my piano tuning and repair
business.  Grandma's spinet was the first piano I could call my own.  It is
interesting to note, that today, one third of all dollars spent of pianos,
are to purchase computer-controlled players.  And tomorrow, grandmas spinet
is being replaced by a Disklavier!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland