business cards

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:59:36 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/00 5:33:33 AM Central Daylight Time, Ron N. writes:

<< >I ran into a couple of interesting business cards this past week.

 >PIANO TUNING
 >
 >With the Electronic
 >STROBOCONN
 >
 >TUNES EVERY NOTE PERFECT
 >ALL WORK GUARANTEED >>

LOL!  I have been too busy to read this List lately but I saw this as I was
dumping my e-mail, on the way to Louisiana's Cajun Country for a weekend of
rustic French and Chanky-Chank music.

I have a business card in my collection from about the same era, before the
word "electronic" was used.  It said, "Scientifically accurate-*Electric*-
Piano Tuning".  The word, "Electric" has lightening bolts coming from it.

I am so glad I learned to tune aurally and moreover to have benefited from
the knowledge and experience of my fellow Chapter members and the teachings
of Prof. Owen Jorgensen RPT which have given me a perspective on tuning that
no "machine" can ever duplicate.

If you want to hear "lightening bolts" rather than just see an image of them,
learn to tune Jean Baptiste Romieu's 1/7 Syntonic Comma Meantone Temperament
of 1758.  The key of Ab has this sparkling, ultra energized sound that makes
music of the Romantic era sound far more expressive than any other
temperament is capable.  It also works very well for Jazz and other 20th
Century styles.

The very idea of trying to use a StroboConn to tune a piano seems so terribly
misguided.  I just can't imagine people going around doing it, especially
with one of those 12-windowed monsters.  By the time you could get that thing
in the house and set up somewhere, I'd already be done and out the door!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin