Wally Brooks saves the day!

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:29:35 GMT

> >Diane
>
>Hi Diane,
>Did the new wips, shanks and flanges squeeze in there without you having to
>trim them in width?
>
>Ron N

They would have if I could have left one and a half notes out of the action!
  No, I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed.... A friend is a guitar maker and
he loaned me a beautiful little tool he had made, a miniature drum
sander/planer.  It worked elegantly.

>Jon Page said:

>so removing 1g
>hammer weight lowers DW by 5g. And more significant is >replacing the
>knuckle further out on the shank.

>I've found that wippen material removal is not worth the >effort.

I did _all_ that, and moved the capstans forward too. I was willing to do
_anything_ that would help. Newton Hunt walked me through it and the action
now plays wonderfully.

Now I'm set to tackle a Steinway O that I rebuilt the action on about ten
years ago.  It is kept in a dank, unheated cabin under the redwoods.  I
followed Jim Bryant's advice about using alcohol and water on the action
centers, it helped a little.  Then I brought it home and kept it in our
"heat box" (car) for 24 hours, that helped even more  (12 grams less
downweight!), but still not enough.

Now I'm wondering about the effect it might have to change the capstan
angle.   Since I did the original work so many years ago,  I don't know what
the original wip cushions were like.  Also, the knuckle-flange distance is
16mm.  It seems hard to believe that one measly mm. would make that much
difference!

Looking forward to tackling it.
Diane