Tone quality

Mitch Ruth mitch_ruth@hotmail.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:21:27 EDT

Hello all,

While working on my project piano today, I noticed that one of the bass
bichords had strings with slightly different winding diameters.  I began to
play and compare the tone quality between the strings.  I noticed that the
thicker string did not have as bright a tone and the thinner string had a
slightly brighter tone.  I realize that there may be other factors affecting
the tone of the strings (age, cleanliness, ect.) but am I making a correct
observation that, all things being equal, smaller diameter leads to brighter
tone?  What about other factors? Single wound vs. double wound? Core wire
diameter? Speaking length? Realize I am speaking of tone quality and not
pitch.

Just curious...

Mitch Ruth
DeMossville, KY