"Visiting" Tuners

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:14:06 GMT

We get "visiting" everything.  One time I saw a guy in town with a backpack
on that had a sign hanging from it saying "I tune pianos and sharpen
sissors"!  Then there was "golden ears" who came into town for awhile and
when shopped, said that the price of tuning "depended".

The most difficult for us, since we rent and sell pianos, is the store which
moved into town, had a  "grand opening sale" for a couple of weeks followed
by a "going out of business sale" the next week.  Or the endless "college
sales" which happen for one weekend at the most crucial time of year and
skim off all the sales.  Or the Costco "road shows" where people think they
are getting a good deal.

What's particularly difficult about the latter is the people who phone us
afterward because about 22 of the keys don't work on the piano and the
"dealer" is long gone.  Or the purchaser who wants to sell us their piano
(which we could purchase for $2,200 brand new) for $5,400 because they don't
use it anymore and they had bought it for "a steal" at the college sale two
years ago.

Oh well, life goes on and so do we.  The others seem to fade away after they
wreck their havoc for a while.
Diane

>From: Ron Lindquist <ronli@newnorth.net>
>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>Subject: "Visiting" Tuners
>Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:45:22 -0500
>
>List:       Need  guidance on how to deal with rude business people.
>
>Saw this ad in the local Shopper today.
>
>PIANO TUNING by appointment only.  Tuning exclusively by ear.  $45.00.  Mr.
>Lentini will again be in the North woods area for a short period of time.
>Please call 715-282-5961 for more information.
>
>I did and found out he will be here for 2-3 weeks---depending on the amount
>of work,  He is from New Jersey. and will be staying  here."
>
>I have to pay Wisconsin Sales tax  "5.5%.   A business permit, a business
>phone, etc.
>
>There are a number of these people each year coming for a "Vacation" from
>another state that I have to deal with.
>
>How would you PROFESSIONALS"  handle this. I'm thinking about turning him
>in to the State tax people.
>

>R&R Piano Service
>6039 River Road
>Eagle River, Wi  54521