Tuning for Tomatoes

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:38:33 -0400

> "Anybody ever tune pianos for dental work?"

No, but I have had folks say that listening to a piano being tuned is a bit
like having a tooth pulled!

I have though bartered a console tuning for a very restorable square grand
(no comments please), a couple home cooked meals (for driving extra
distance), and several times I have bartered a piano tuning for a nights
lodging at little Bed & Breakfasts along to way to conventions, etc. The
B&Bs are usually quite a bit of fun (usually pretty bad pianos though). I
highly recommend trying it! What I do is call a few B&Bs near desired
overnight stops. "Hello, I'm interested in staying at your B&B, but I wish
to know whether you have a piano". They usually either reply "No" OR they
will say "Yes, we do, but I'm sorry, you may not enjoy playing it because it
hasn't been tuned in quite some time". Then I say "Well, have I got a deal
for you!" And basically, if it's a weeknight when other guests are not
present, they often go for it (like while you are travelling on a Monday or
Tuesday for the all-day-Wednesday class)! ;-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com