Bechstein restoration

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:17:27 +0300

Hello everyone!

Since many of you have been really helpful in answering my questions, I
thought I would ask again for your advice.
I am currently refinishing my Bechstein (pictures available on my website).
The original colour is black, and I talked to my piano technician to
refinish it in black again.
But today, when the cleaning of the old finish started, we noticed that the
whole piano has an "american walnut" veneer. That's how we call it here :-)
I don't know the proper english name. It is darker than normal walnut and
the fiber doesn't appear.

So, I thought we could just lacquer the piano transparent instead of black,
if after the cleaning the veneer looks good.
What do you think about this? Is it ok to do? Are there any things to be
aware of before proceeding?

Thanks a lot,

Calin
http://calintantareanu.tripod.com