Bechstein restoration

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:58:48 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Calin Tantareanu" <dnu@fx.ro>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 11:17 AM
Subject: Bechstein restoration

> Hello everyone!
>
> Since many of you have been really helpful in answering my questions, I
> thought I would ask again for your advice.
> I am currently refinishing my Bechstein (pictures available on my
website).
> The original colour is black, and I talked to my piano technician to
> refinish it in black again.
> But today, when the cleaning of the old finish started, we noticed that
the
> whole piano has an "american walnut" veneer. That's how we call it here
:-)
> I don't know the proper english name. It is darker than normal walnut and
> the fiber doesn't appear.

What "fiber"? The grain? If you don't see grain, it likely is not walnut.

> So, I thought we could just lacquer the piano transparent instead of
black,
> if after the cleaning the veneer looks good.
> What do you think about this? Is it ok to do?

It certainly is OK.

> Are there any things to be aware of before proceeding?

Two things come to mind. If you will not be using a dark stain, be sure to
get all the black out of the walnut (or whatever kind of wood you have)
grain - whever it is left, it will be darker. A solution to this potential
problem is to fill the grain with black filler and have a high-contrasting
grain finish. A second thing is just to carfully examine the veneers after
stripping. Some manufacturers will use poor appearance or not-optimally
matching veneers on an factory ebony piano. Just check 'em out close & make
sure you like them.

> Thanks a lot,

> Calin
> http://calintantareanu.tripod.com