Bechstein restoration

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:57:21 +0300

Hi Terry!

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 11:58 PM
Subject: Re: Bechstein restoration

> What "fiber"? The grain? If you don't see grain, it likely is not walnut.

Yes, the grain. i mean, there is grain, but the pattern isn't showing a lot.
Unlike usual walnut, which has the lighter brown with darker markings, this
veneer is a dark brown (like coffee) and the grain is not very visible.

The man said it's not usual walnut, but "american walnut". I have no idea
what that could be.
I can send you a picture of the cleaned keyboard lid if you want.

> Two things come to mind. If you will not be using a dark stain, be sure to
> get all the black out of the walnut (or whatever kind of wood you have)
> grain - whever it is left, it will be darker. A solution to this potential

As i told you, there is grain, but it's not very contrasting. The background
is a drak brown already.

> problem is to fill the grain with black filler and have a high-contrasting
> grain finish. A second thing is just to carfully examine the veneers after
> stripping. Some manufacturers will use poor appearance or not-optimally
> matching veneers on an factory ebony piano. Just check 'em out close &
make
> sure you like them.

I know, but till now (we haven't finished stripping) the veneer looks good.
We'll see.

Calin
http://calintantareanu.tripod.com