string cleaner/board cleaner

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:39:32 -0400

At 09:39 PM 09/16/2000 -0600, you wrote:

>   Hi all,
>I tried somthing new today that worked better than the ond way.
>Working on an old clunker with dirty ( not rusted ) strings my eraser that
>is used for cleaning strings was not to be found So looking for something
>to use I grabbed my pounder made out of a bass hammer and a brass 1/4 rod
>to attach to my combination handle. Using the felt to remove the grime of
>75 years was easier than expected. For the strings that were reachable it
>worked great.
>It stretched the strings a little and seated them at the same time
>removing some of the false beats in the upper treble.
>Joe Goss

I too tried something the other day.  It occurred to me that those static
dust cloths advertised
may work well on the sounding board. A fairly clean board produced an
impressive amount of
dust clinging to the cloth and it was much easier than trying to get a rag
around underneath the plate.

The two products are "Swiffer" and "Grabber".  I used Swiffer since it came
in a convenient sive.
(I used one on my car's dashboard as well, long over due.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net