just how "private" is pianotech?

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 00:31:58 -0400

I recently learned something about search engines, google.com, in
particular.  Quite by accident a search took me to articles in a mailing
list that you had to subscribe to.  I was not a subscriber.  Just for kicks,
I entered my own name, and found the few posts I made to Pianotech when it
was being hosted by prairienet.  It seems that all of the posts in the early
days of pianotech are picked up by this search engine.

Google also picked up all of the names of people, etc. on the Convention web
page.

Pianotech has evolved over time to being like a Mister Roger's Neighborhood
for piano techs.  We are no longer just a tech list of strangers as many of
us have met one another.  This leads to posts being more informal or
conversational than other lists.

Will the current Pianotech archives ever be made so public?  It is one thing
to go to the Piano Page and access the archives, but quite another to have
every word picked up by a search engine.  Can you imagine entering your own
name and every post you ever made to any mailing list come up?

So, what's the story here?

Carol Beigel
Greenbelt, Maryland