Tuning for Tomatoes

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:10:54 GMT

>Am I the only cynic who thinks the elderly couple were trying to tell
>the compassionate tech that his fees were too low (when they wrote
>him a check for 20% more) -- and then he mails the check back?!?!

Another way of looking at it; they were grateful so the man gave him more
money as the only way he could understand to express his feeling of
gratitude and friendship.  But since it is always harder to receive than to
give, he returns the check to them thus robbing them of their opportunity to
give.

(Don't think I think I know what I'm saying,  I'm trying my darndest to
learn about these things.)

I just offered to lighten the action on a Steinway O that I rebuilt about
ten years ago at no additional cost.  It's true that they keep it in
impossible humid conditions, but it's also true that the knuckle to flange
pin distance is 16mm. and the capstans are slanted at an extreme angle, so I
want to experiment and learn more as much as anything else.

Diane