strings 'n stuph

John Voigt jvoigt@gwtc.net
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:09:48 -0500

>Hi Ron et al,
>
>I have come across an Everett with plain steel, then iron wound, and
then
>copper it is a fairly modern piano. LOL The client is a church and the
>piano was a gift from some one who "insisted" it was made by Yamaha. It
is
>a 42" instrument. It has metal back posts--and a crack in the
soundboard.

>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

Hi Don,
Yep, I tune a few of them too. Aren't all the steel wraps on the low
tenor
bridge on these?

Ron N

Ron,
I have seen a couple of these Everetts and was under the impression that
the wound strings in the  tenor were wrapped with aluminum.

I came across a piano the other day (an old Strohber upright) that had
copper wound in the single and lower half of the double wounds, and iron
wound in the upper half of the doubles.  The remaining iron wrapped
strings were dead.  I assumed that someone replaced only half the bass
strings at one time.  Could that piano have been designed that way?

John Voigt