strings 'n stuph

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:52:16 -0500

>Ron,
>I have seen a couple of these Everetts and was under the impression that
>the wound strings in the  tenor were wrapped with aluminum.

Oops again. Yes, I think you're correct. The wrap on that Gulbransen
unison, though, is definitely stee..., er..., iro... , er..., ferrous.

>I came across a piano the other day (an old Strohber upright) that had
>copper wound in the single and lower half of the double wounds, and iron
>wound in the upper half of the doubles.  The remaining iron wrapped
>strings were dead.  I assumed that someone replaced only half the bass
>strings at one time.  Could that piano have been designed that way?
>
>John Voigt

Yes, it could have. Using a less dense wrap than copper lets you use larger
diameter wrap (in case the required copper would be too small to wrap
without great difficulty), to control tension when you can't change
speaking lengths easily. In practice, you can usually get around the
problems well enough without resorting to changing wrap material.

Ron N