"Visiting" Tuners - cont'd

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:02:14 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/00 8:02:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
ronli@newnorth.net (Ron Lindquist) writes:

<< Mr. Bremmer,  I am not threatened by  fair competition  Just people not
 paying what is required by State law, or the old boy network where one is
 not competing on work.
 appreciate your  thoughts. >>

Ron,

You have to be realistic about this business as you would any other.  You
couldn't make much money selling air conditioners in Fairbanks.  I realize
that Northern Wisconsin is your home and you like it there but there just
aren't that many pianos up there, at least within a small area.  There are
lots if you consider the whole northern part of the state to be your
territory.  I love Louisiana's Cajun Country, the Cajun French language, the
food, the culture, the warm winters and most of all, the music, but I also
know that pianos are few and far between there.

I once considered relocating to Lafayette, LA, which is about the same size
city as Madison, with a growing population and vibrant community but with
relatively few pianos compared to Madison.  Here, there are 20 names in the
phone book and down there, there are just a few.  Most of them live in
Lafayette and say that business is not too good.  So, I remain where I am
because I like it here and there are lots of pianos to tune.

I wrote and called the two leading piano techs in Lafayette and told them
that I would be coming only on certain occasions and would seek business in
far off, little towns rather than in Lafayette itself.  I have however,
managed to get some clients in Lafayette just because they wanted some
alternative to what they were getting.  Once they have heard and played a
piano that I serviced, they want to know when the next time I will be in town
will be and they tell their friends.

The point is, first of all, you must have a high quality service to offer if
you want to compete.  Your pianos must sound and play better than you
competition's, it's as simple as that.  You need to accomplish your service
in a reasonable amount of time, not take hours on end.  Once you get to where
you can handle most pianos in about an hour, and others that need to be
cleaned out, action tightened and adjusted, etc., in about another hour, for
which you get a much higher fee, customers will sense that you know what you
are doing, are worth your price and they voluntarily tell other people about
you.  This takes dedication, time and lots of practice and experience to
accomplish.

None of the many fine tuners in Madison want to go up where you are to tune a
piano.  I gave you that one referral a while back and there is a lady in
Minoqua who has a new Estonia grand.  I also gave her your name but I sensed
that she was reluctant to call you, probably because she did not trust the
skills of a small town tuner.  There is another customer near her who wants
the piano tuned in 1/5 comma meantone and will wait until she can find
someone who will do it, even if it takes years, rather than have what is
typically offered by anyone she can find up that way.

Personal visits to schools and churches that you find in the many small towns
up that way, where you introduce yourself, give your card and state your
interest may help.  Don't be afraid to offer to do a free tuning, especially
to a church or a school as a demonstration of your skills.  Make that one be
better than any one that you might get paid for, like the guy who tuned for
tomatoes.  They will probably pay you anyway.

This business is like none other in how it is obtained.  Forget about ads, go
in person.  Be well groomed, in a good mood and be sincere.  Look for ways to
make the biggest improvements with the least amount of effort and the least
time spent.  Forget about what all of the "I only do grands and anything but
a Steinway is a PSO" types say.  There are hundreds upon hundreds of spinets,
consoles, studio, uprights and even some grands up that way.  Most are very
common instruments but are also badly in need of the most basic services.
You can make a living doing that work if you can find the pianos get the
people to hire you.  You can also make money in comissions by referring
people to piano dealers either for new pianos or for rebuilding.

Why don't you be the "visitor" to places where you know other tuners don't
want to go?  During that very harsh, cold winter you have there, why not go
someplace south for a while, do some of your own itinerant tuning?  You
should be able to get at least $60.00 for a basic tuning and more for extra
work.  Madison rates are higher than that but pale in comparison to what they
get on the East and West coasts.  The $40.00 range that you speak of is in
the wholesale rate range, what you would do for a dealer for example, doing
multiple pianos.  I don't think it is very realistic to expect to have a
business tuning pianos all at such low rates.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin