Piano Tuning And Ergonomics

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:09:21 -0400

Good Morning.

I have recently developed some numbing in my R hand..I believe it is the
result of my active tuning schedule(3-4 every day i book, which is almost
every day)..I have, for years, sought out the relief that I receive from
Chiropractic care for a back condition that I was born with. I have seen my
Chiro as recently as this past Monday, and have told him of my numbing in my
R hand. He treated the affected area(Traps) and adjusted as he normally
does..as of this morning, my R hand still goes numb at any given time, at
any given position.

I have had a pinched nerve in the past that affected my R hand..treatment
for this was Chiropractic care for 3-4 weeks, and the pain went away..but..I
am wondering if what I am experiencing might be the start of
CarpoTunnel?...my Dad had both hands done and he has never had a problem
since the surgery. I don't know if CarpoTunnel Syndrome is genetic or not..

I am also wondering if I may be contributing to this condition with my
'posture' when tuning pianos..I will sit to tune unless it is a fairly large
upright, and then I am forced to stand.

Since my traps are as tight as snare drums, I am going to seek out the
relief from a Massage..this HAS helped in the past..but I am wondering if I
am contributing to my own condition with 'poor posture'...

CarpoTunnel..poor posture..numbing R hand..I'm a mess!!!

Rook