Piano Tuning And Ergonomics

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:31:43 -0500

Phil,
FWIW, I had similar problems for a while though not as severe. I was tuning
an average of five per day. Four things that helped me:
1)learning to tune with my left hand (I am right handed). The easy way to
start is to do pitch raises with the opposite hand. Then you eventually can
integrate to the point where you use the easiest hand (ie, the left for the
high treble in grands, bass in verticals, etc.)
2) I stand on almost every tuning and try to continually vary my posture.
You have to find shoes that you can stand in all day. For me, it's
Birkenstocks. If you can't find a comfortable position standing, sit. I am
short so I can and do stand for spinets.
3) Use a ball end tuning hammer or wear bicycle gloves or other
protection/padding on the tuning hand. I find the ball end useable w/o
gloves and so that is my solution.
4) Raise your fees to the point you can live on the number of tunings you
can realistically accomplish daily without damaging yourself.

Listen, be careful. Repetitive stress injuries are not minor afflictions and
surgery should be viewed as a last resort. If the behaviour (posture, etc)
doesn't change, there is a good chance for more injury. Take a class such as
the one Bonnie Swafford taught in Arlington- Your Body-Maintaining Your Most
Important Tool. I am sure we will offer a similar class in Reno.

I hope this helps,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM20001