Piano Tuning And Ergonomics

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:39:19 EDT

 Phil writes:

<< I have had a pinched nerve in the past that affected my R hand..treatment
for this was Chiropractic care for 3-4 weeks, and the pain went away..but..I
am wondering if what I am experiencing might be the start of
CarpoTunnel?

Very easily, if so, welcome to the club.

>>I am also wondering if I may be contributing to this condition with my
'posture' when tuning pianos <snip>Since my traps are as tight as snare
drums, I am going to seek out the relief from a Massage..this HAS helped in
the past..but I am wondering if I am contributing to my own condition with
'poor posture'...<<

    I have been fighting this myself for a long time.  Yoga has done more
than anything to alleviate the problemm but a good anti-inflammatory drug can
be  real help on occasion.
    I think the loss of elasticity in the fascia is to blame for most of our
mechanical problems.  Tuning makes us lop-sided and everything else goes out
of balance trying to compensate. Flexibility needs to be pursued, daily.
  The numbness in your had could easily be some slight swelling in the narrow
tunnel that the nerves pass through.  Does it affect your thumb and first two
fingers the most?  Does it happen during the night?  Does the whole arm go
dead, etc.  These are the questions my doctor asked me, so if you answer yes,
 you should see a Dr. now, before it becomes an untreatable problem.
Good luck,  this is not uncommon in trades that use the hands
Ed Foote RPT