False Beats

Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:08:52 +0200

Hi List.. wanted to open up this again for a few comments.. I just tried CA
for the first time on some pianos I have laying around that have quite a
bit of falsness. I was quite suprised with the results really, even bridge
pins that showed no evidence (visually) of loosness were quite improved by
the application on just the top bridge pin. The quality of sound
improvement varied a bit. On a Petrof the sound was much improved becoming
quite round and solid sounding. On a Nordiska the change in sound quality
was a bit different.. I'd have to say it improved substantially, but there
seemed to be a bit of a deadening quality. Perhaps elimination of these
kinds of falsebeats somehow effects sustain ??? Not sure how quite to
describe it.

Also.. I was wondering about the effects of CA glue on the wood surrounding
the bridge pin. For example what would be the effect if one was to let say
5 or 6 drops of CA soak into the bridge cap wood around the bridge pin
area. Wouldnt this in effect "stiffen" the bridge a good deal ? And if so
wouldnt this have some predictable results relating to sound quality ??

Just musing a bit.. Any thoughts ??
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.