False Beats

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:42:45 -0500

>I'd like to try CA on some bridge pins where there are obvious false
beats, but
>I still have a question regarding its use.  Is there a danger of gluing the
>strings to the bridge cap?  Is it possible to end up with a glob at the
>termination point, even using the water-thin glue, that will negatively affect
>the tone?  Is there anything in this glue that over years could cause the
>string to rust?
>
>Regards,
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA, USA

I doubt it's possible to glue steel to wood with CA and get an unbreakable
bond. CA is, after all, brittle when cured. As someone usually points out
when a question like this comes up - try it for yourself in the shop with
some scrap, so the resulting bodies are more easily disposed of. I've CA'd
a lot of bridge pins, but never with the string on. It doesn't take much
junk of any sort at the string termination to change the overall sound and
sustain. Because of this potential for trading one curse for another, I
don't think this qualifies as a quicky field repair. It's a shame too.
There are plenty of times I could use some magic that I don't have.

Ron N